This post was last updated on August 5th, 2020 at 08:22 pm
One way we found to keep children occupied for hours, is to have an outdoor kids sandbox in the backyard. Kids have always liked to play with sand, with a plastic bucket and shovel and a big truck or two.
They should also be able to play outdoors in the sunshine and fresh air as much as possible. A sand pit provides them with the best of both worlds.
The traditional material for a sandbox has probably been wood but I think plastic sand boxes are now preferable.
Plastic is lightweight which is useful should you need to reposition it somewhere in the yard. It’s also easier to keep clean - usually a wipe over with a wet cloth will suffice. And plastic sand pits come in bright colors with special details molded into the designs, which the kids love.
Wooden versions can be much larger and if you are keen on DIY you could easily make one yourself, but on balance I think plastic boxes are the better option.
Here is my selection of sand boxes that I would consider buying today:
Creative Cedar Octagonal Wooden Sandbox
This is a good example of a traditional wooden sandbox.
- Stained cedar timber construction.
- Includes ground liner, hardware & assembly instructions.
- Has wide seating boards for group playing.
- Polyethylene cover fits in seconds.
- Needs up to 500 pounds of sand (not included).
- Dimensions: Length 84 inches x Width 78inches x Height 9 inches.
BIG Spielwarenfabrik Vario Sandpit with Cover
This quick and easy-to-assemble sand box comes without a base sheet.
- Four piece construction.
- Can be assembled / disassembled quickly using the tool provided.
- Made with UV-stabilized plastic - easy to clean.
- Nylon cover included.
- 4 places to sit.
- Sand capacity: 200 Kg recommended. Sand not included.
- Dimensions: 60 inches x 60 inches.
Children's Factory Neptune Double Basin Sand or Water Table
When space is limited, a sand table may be a more practical alternative to a sandbox. Kids can play with them anywhere in the yard, which can be useful if the weather gets too hot and the table needs to be moved to allow the kids more shade.
- Made with sturdy, easy-to-clean plastic, & rust-proof frame.
- Includes lid.
- Has four casters (2 lockable) for easy positioning.
- Two play basins with drain - for sand or water play.
- Dimensions: 36 inches x 24 inches.
ECR4Kids Sand & Water Play Table
There is plenty of scope for sand and water play here. For single or dual user.
- Easy-clean removable plastic basins.
- Weather-resistant & fade-resistant for outdoor and indoor play.
- Height adjustable between 20, 22.5 and 26 inches.
- Dimensions: 30 inches long x 14.25 inches wide.
Keep your Sandbox Safe and Healthy!
As a parent or grandparent you will want to ensure the kids playing with sand in your backyard are doing so in a safe and healthy manner.
- Make sure they realize that sand is not for eating!
- Check there are no leaking diapers that could contaminate the sand.
- When children are playing under a hot sun, make sure they have a canopy to protect them from the sun’s rays. Some sand boxes are supplied with an umbrella.
- Childrens’ hands and bare feet should be washed after they’ve played in sand.
- Sand should be changed a minimum of twice a year if the sandbox is in regular use. Cleaning it during the play season is important too. The sand needs to be sanitized to kill off any bacteria that may be present.
Backyard play is important in developing all manner of skills for kids, and for getting regular exercise. A sand box like one of these above could be a great way to introduce some outdoor fun for the little 'uns in your backyard.